Tabs {Pages}

Friday, October 19, 2012

Music to My Ears


The sound of a language is music to my ears.
As I sat on the lawn studying for my class, 5 international students came and sat in a circle.  They grinned at one another, laughing.  And then the words started to flow.  They were softly spoken and only brash from the language, not in the harsh American English tone.   The French flowed from their mouths and the laughs ensued.  Also did the sharing.  One sandwich was produced, cut in half and it was passed around the circle.  The cigarettes came out and at first all I could do was smell the smoke.  And somehow it doesn’t bother me anymore.  It is a smell that though I would rather not smell it and though I do not want people to have the health effects, it is a part of the culture.  It is a way of life.
I wanted in on the conversation.  Every once in awhile a word would come wafting my way and I would understand.  That one word. 
It was hard not to stare, not to be interested.  But I also was timid.  I don’t know French.  I don’t know the culture.  I don’t know how to approach.  But I do know that I was offered a window into their life.  Just to be in the presence of a little difference was refreshing.
What is changing your outlook today?  What is making you feel refreshed?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your sweet comment!