Tabs {Pages}

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Smiling is Free

I like quotes.  I think they are fun and can be inspiring.  Sometimes they make me laugh.  And sometimes they put a whole new spin on life.  The power that words have on us is a beautiful thing.  I try to keep my favorite quotes in my very own quote book.  Each is carefully handwritten in the journal.  That takes time and work, thus why my book needs to be updated after a year and a half of no new quotes.  I have a pile ready to be written in.

There is a company that thrives on feel good quotes.  I am guilty of eating dove chocolates.  The chocolates {dark is my favorite} are the perfect afternoon treat when I’ve been staring at a computer screen.  And I’ve been able to limit myself by making each individual chocolate become 4 bites {mind tricks}.  To be honest I'm bored of their inspirational messages.  It could be for a number of reasons, but when it all comes down to it I eat them for the chocolate taste in my mouth, not the words on the wrapper.  Does that make sense?  Does it seem reasonable?

After all that I wanted to share what was on my chocolate wrapper the other day...

Smiling is free

How true is that?  I have had the phrase "can you smile for me?" said to me many a time.  it can take effort for my stubborn little attitude to not give in.  It’s so easy to crack a smile.  There are even games about not smiling, which shows me that we were made to smile.  We were made to find joy.  it can take effort to smile when the world is crashing down.  One thing I missed in Italy was that people don't smile at each other unless there is a relationship established.  People smile in the US.  {ok, most of the time}   People smile in greeting to each other.  Even if they are complete strangers.  Even if it’s been a bad day.  Even if they are in a hurry.

Yes, there are many types of smiles that send all kinds of messages.  but when someone genuinely smiles, what does it cost them?

It may cost them a second, or be a distraction.  It may bring an unwanted conversation that eats at their time.  it might cost intentional distance.

Sometimes it brings opportunity to share life hope faith and love. 

A smile doesn't cost money, but can be the perfect gift

"Smiling is my favorite" -Buddy the elf

"You're never fully dressed without a smile" -Orphan Annie

What is your favorite quote?  Do you have a favorite that includes smiling?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your sweet comment!